Proud to help protect those that are building America

ICRG supports community developers and established homebuilders with an array of liability and business coverages for projects and developments from groundbreaking through finish out.

We understand Risk and provide access to a network of market-leading underwriters who understand your project and your business and help protect employees, equipment, and development liabilities. 

ICRG’s Construction Specialty Practice has the expertise to tailor coverage solutions for residential, commercial, industrial, public, and private construction projects, as well as for most community development-related risks.

We provide construction companies and select sub-contractors access to a network of market-leading carriers with experienced underwriters, capable of crafting solutions and taking them to market to help find the ideal placement for every construction need. Working tirelessly to tailor custom coverage, and provide superior technical expertise and market knowledge to address every peril.

General liability insurance, sometimes called commercial general liability (CGL) insurance or contractor general liability insurance, is a class of insurance that provides liability protection to businesses in the case of bodily harm or property damage during the course of business. Insurance providers create various versions of these policies available to professionals in construction and for construction projects. Whether you are the property owner, a construction company, or a contractor, liability insurance policies are available to protect policyholders from unnecessary risk. So often, these plans will be advertised as Contractor General Liability Insurance or General Liability Insurance for Builders.

General liability insurance policies will usually cover a broad range of damages, including:

  • Faulty workmanship
  • Job-related injury
  • Advertising injury / defamation

Contractors or developers may actually be required to have a minimum level of liability insurance either by law in some states or to win certain contracts that require it. Companies who complete many design-build projects will definitely want to have liability insurance in case they are sued for mistakes. Also, subcontractors are frequently required to carry liability insurance in order to work for certain general contractors.

General liability insurance policies are available through various providers for the following types of businesses:

  • Residential general contractors (RGC)
  • Developers
  • Remodelers
  • Light commercial general contractors
  • Trade / specialty contractors (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc)

Like Builders Risk and other types of insurance coverage, certain exclusions are likely to be defined in the policy, protecting the insurance company from having to cover certain types of damages or incidents.

Builders risk insurance, also known as course of construction (COC) insurance, or sometimes construction all risk insurance, is insurance coverage for buildings and other structures while they are under construction. Other policies like homeowners insurance or commercial property insurance will typically not cover structures during construction. Builders risk policies will usually have options to cover the following types of property:

  • Building materials
  • Foundations
  • Temporary structures such as scaffolding
  • Paving, fencing, outdoor fixtures
  • Lawns, trees and plants installed by the builder

Insurance providers generally cover the most common types of construction projects, including:

  • Residential new construction
  • Residential remodeling or smaller projects (e.g. replacing windows or doors)
  • Model homes and model home contents
  • Commercial property construction

However, if your construction project or type of structure is unique, there may still be specialty providers that can offer insurance policies for your unique project. Builders risk policies only protect against certain types of damages. Generally, the most basic builders risk insurance policies will cover damages caused by:

  • Fire
  • Weather
  • Vandalism

Toggle Content

Toggle Content

Toggle Content